FREE Tax Prep
Put money back in your pocket.
Since Berkshire United Way began investing in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, millions in additional dollars have been returned to working families in Berkshire County. VITA provides free income tax preparation assistance to individuals and families with a household income of approximately $54,000 a year or less, in which filers may qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), up to $6,200 and/or qualify for other tax credits. The EITC is the most successful means-tested program in lifting families and children out of poverty. According to the IRS, one in five eligible workers fail to claim the EITC. According to the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities, research show that the EITC helps families throughout their life – improved infant and material health, better school performance, greater college enrollment, increased work and earnings in the next generation and Social Security retirement benefits.
MyFreeTaxes is a great tool if you are interested in self-preparing your taxes. The income cap for tax season 2018 will is $66,000 for individuals and households.
Call 413.442.6948 to make a VITA appointment in Great Barrington or Lee or to inquire about FREE Tax Prep by our community partners at additional sites throughout the county. Individual/household income must be $54,000 or less.
South County location hours - appointment required:
- Mondays: 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays: 7:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Wednesdays: 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Thursdays: 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Fridays: 7:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
Additional weekend hours TBD.
Berkshire United Way will be hosting a Taxathon on Saturday, March 24th at Berkshire South Regional Community Center in Great Barrington as part of our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Hours for the event are from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with final appointments at 3:00 p.m. Tax preparation and review will be offered by appointment, and we will attempt to accommodate all walkins based upon preparer availability and verification/receipt of required tax documents.
The following documents are required in order to have your taxes completed.
- For married couples filing jointly, both spouses must be present
- Photo identification for you and your spouse(if married)
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number documents for you, your spouse, and/por dependents(or photo copies)
- Birth dates for you, spouse and/or dependents
- All Forms W-2, 1098 and 1099, etc.
- Forms 1095-A, B or C (ACA Statements) 1099-HC
- Information for other income
- Information for all deductions/credits
- Total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number
- For direct deposit of refund, proof of account and bank’s routing number
- Prior year’s tax return
Click here to download the flyer below.